There are 43 total Basilicas in Argentina.  I’m just picking 10 to show

1) Basilica of Our Lady of the Pillar, Buenos Aires

White Basílica Nuestra Señora del Pilar, the key structure of the former Franciscan convent in Recoleta, belongs among the most beautiful examples of colonial Baroque architecture in Argentina.

Photo from 1864

The church was built together with convent of reformed Fransciscan order (so called Recollets or Recoletos) thanks to activity and sponsosrhip of Captain Pedro Bustinza and merchant Juan de Narbonne. The church was dedicated to Our Lady of the Pillar in remembrance and tribute to Narbonne’ hometown, Zaragoza, where is famous basilica bearing the same name. The convent buldings were built the first, between 1715-1721, the church itself with 30 m high main belfry – work of architects Andrés Blanqui and Bautista Prímoli – was finished in 1732. The Franciscan bishop of Asuncion (Paraguay) consecrated the church on May 30, 1734.

2) Basilica of Our Lady of Luján – Luján, Buenos Aires

Built in Neogothic style, it is dedicated to Our Lady of Luján, patron saint of Argentina.

Many people mistake this temple for a cathedral. Actually, it is part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Mercedes-Luján, whose see is located at the Cathedral Basilica of Mercedes-Luján in the neighboring city of Mercedes.

Approximately six million people visit the shrine each year, many of them coming during four major pilgrimage periods. One of these, the Peregrinación de los Gauchos (Gaucho´s Pilgrimage), takes place on the last Sunday of September and is considered to be one of the most picturesque cultural events in Argentina. Gauchos are the cowboys of Argentina’s vast grasslands and during the pilgrimage it is common to see their horses waiting outside of the church. A week or so later, on the first Sunday in October, is the Peregrinación de los Jóvenes (Pilgrimage of the Young), when around a million youths walk the whole 68 kilometers from Buenos Aires to the Basilica in a display of faith and gratefulness. The feast days of Nuestra Señora de Luján are celebrated on May 8 and December 8, and during these times nautical pilgrimages take place in the Luján River, with statues of the Virgin aboard a boat.  For more on this please visit here

3) Cathedral Basilica of SS Peter and Cecilia aka Mar del Plata Cathedral

Built in Neogothic style, it is dedicated to St. Peter the Apostle and St. Cecilia.

Declared a Minor Basilica by Pius XI in 1924, upon the creation of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Mar del Plata in 1957 it became its Cathedral church

4) Catedral Basílica de Mercedes-Luján

Built in 1904 in Gothic Revival style. It contains the remains of Don Saturnino Unzué and Doña Inés Unzué Dorrego, its main benefactors. On 15 April 2010, the building was declared a National Historic Landmark under Decree 492/2010.

This cathedral is dedicated to Our Lady of Mercy. It should not be confused with the Basilica of Our Lady of Luján, a much bigger and famous temple which is located in the same diocese.

5) Cathedral of Salta

It was necessary to build a new cathedral in 1856, after an earthquake destroyed the old building. Services began in 1858 under the patronage of Archbishop José Eusebio Colombres. Felipe Bertrés was the architect. The project was completed in 1882. More found here

6) Nuestra Señora del Socorro, Buenos Aires

The portentous image of the Lord of the Miracles was acquired in the early eighteenth century by the spouses Estanislao Rivero and Dona Andrea Basualdo, a street vendor who by divine providence came to them to offer it for sale. They lived in a humble ranch located in what is now Santa Fe street between Cerrito and Libertad. There, in that little corner of the country, the first cult was received by the neighbors, many of whom have contributed to its acquisition. As this cult was on the rise, the Rivero spouses found themselves in need of expanding the insignificant chapel, so that together with devotees of the Crucified they bought a plot of land on the corner of Santa Fe and Cerrito, where a hall dedicated to the Lord was built. of the Miracles, this being the first Chapel dedicated to the Lord. This small chapel soon became a Sanctuary, with people from all over, for the fame of the wonders that were made there reached the most remote reaches of the Republic. One of the many devotees who came to the chapel to present their cults to the Lord, begged him to grant him an extraordinary favor and as soon as he made his request, he got what he asked for, leaving the chapel to shout a miracle! and from that day the public baptized the prodigious image of the crucified with the name of the Lord of Miracles. As the devotion was increasing and the wonders that were being done called the attention of the Ecclesiastical Authorities, the then rector of the Socorro, Dr. Don Manuel León Ochogavia, proposed to the Bishop of Buenos Aires the image to the Church of Socorro, idea that approved the Prelate and September 14, 1803 was taken processionally from the house of the Rivero to the parish church. There he was deposited in the small niche with grandstand for the candles that the devotees brought to the Christ. In 1662 he prayed the first novena in preparation for his party that would be from 1831, on September 14 the day dedicated to Mr. de los Milagros. Since this cult was not canonical, in 1848, the Cura del Socorro, Don Francisco Villar, begged the then Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Doctor Don Mariano Escalada, to request from Rome the authorization to render canonical and public worship to Mr. de los Milagros, and the request, SS Pius IX on April 7, 1865 issued a Brief, authorizing the cult. It fell to Mr. Canon, Mr. Apolinario de Casas, to give life to this cult, and in 1871, that priest moved the image to a new altar, which was later decorated finely, building the beautiful Chapel. Since then, the cult of the Lord of Miracles has been increasing, celebrating his feast every year in great form, until in 1903, the first centenary of the Lord of Miracles, Rome was asked for the extraordinary gift of being crowned, favor granted by the SS Leo XIII. The image was crowned on September 13, 1903. In 1943, in memory of the one hundred and forty anniversary of the transfer of the image to our parish, Mr. Cura Miguel Lloveras, with the spontaneous collaboration of a large number of generous parishioners, fulfilled and it embellished the Chapel conserving its precious style and equipping it with a new, artistic and beautiful Altar. His electrical installation was also extended so that the paintings and decorations could shine. The devotion that the whole Republic professes to the Lord of Miracles is extraordinary, and the festivities that are celebrated 

7) Nuestra Señora del Rosario, Buenos Aires

Marking the approach into San Telmo, this 18th-century Dominican church and monastery has a long and colorful history. On the left tower you’ll see replicas of cannons launched against British troops holed up here during the invasion of 1807; the basilica displays flags that were captured from the British. In front of the church is the mausoleum of General Belgrano, the independence hero best known as the creator of the Argentinian flag.

The Basilica of Nuestra Señora del Rosario has three naves, the central one has a barrel vault and a dome over the crossing.

Highlights the Spanish colonial style bars in the atrium, starring Manuel Belgrano’s mausoleum, also remaining at the entrance to the church, which is composed of three arches leading to the narthex trellises. On each side, two doors, one on each tower, take to the aisles. Behind the altar of the aisle that the flags of the British battalions shown.

On the inside, its columns are decorated with reliefs, and the nave was clad in carved marble. The existing main altar was made after the fire the old, burned in 1955 The roofs of the vaults are in an advanced state of deterioration, and prevent accidents plaster detachments product and material has been placed few meters down a network of these.

The confessionals were made of marble, with carved wooden doors and alternate inscriptions over their doors, “Noli Amplius peccare” and “Give iniquitatem meam”. “Verbum Dei Praedica” appears on access to the pulpit.

The basilica has many chapels with images of saints such as St. Martin de Porres, and several plaques in memory of heroes who participated in the Defense and Reconquista during the British invasions of important members of the order and of famous people who are buried in it. For example, Fray José del Rosario Zemborain, Nevares Trespalacios Alejo, José Matías Zapiola, Luis Maria Saavedra and his wife, among others.

Several plates recall the procession held in 1922, including one that replicates a photograph of the crowd coming from the Plaza de Mayo in front of the Cathedral. A particular plate contains the text of the decree signed on 10 October 1926 by President Marcelo Torcuato de Alvear, allowing display the flag of War of Argentina with this image of Our Lady of the Rosary.

On a vane on the right tower is a figure of a dog as the Dominicans are named from the Latin Domini canis (dogs or guardians of the Lord). On the left is the traditional vane silhouette of a gallo.

The building had an organ built in France by the house Mutin Cavaillé-Coll, which was destroyed in 1955 during the aforementioned burning churches. Years later, another body of German origin was located where the altar was installed, but it was not completely finished, and is estimated to run a 60% lack thereof. Today, I still run at maximum capacity, rarely reaches to fill the spacious nave with its volume, but nevertheless presents an architectural contrast gives counterpoint to colonial style building with a modern instrument of the 1960s, which is what first thing a visitor sees when entering the temple.

8) St John of the Flowers Basilica – Buenos Aires

In 1803 the new bishop of Buenos Aires, Benito Lué y Riega, decided to take part of the territories of the parishes of La Piedad, Montserrat, San Isidro and Morón to erect a new one. The family of Ramón Francisco Flores donated an apple to build the building of the future parish church, another to create a plaza-main road through and through-and a third to install the public slaughterhouses of the new town. The file was elevated to the Viceroy Rafael de Sobremonte three years later, and on May 31, 1806, the new parish was formally named San José de Flores. A first precarious temple of adobe, wood and straw, lasted a few years. Father Miguel García raised funds among the parish’s neighbors in order to build a definitive temple, obtaining a donation of twelve thousand quality bricks by Ramón Francisco Flores himself. On February 19, 1810 the foundations of the new church began to be realized, but on May 12, 1810 the works had to be suspended due to lack of funds. On February 18, 1811 the work recommenced, being suspended again on May 10 of that same year. Failing to complete it, the presbyter Garcia was forced to establish the Church in one of the corridors adjacent to the building under construction, and for two decades remained in that place. When the works stopped in 1811, the temple was still without a roof, but with some walls raised by the side and closed the two chapels that were on both sides In that state the works remained for many years, suffering deteriorations that caused their complete destruction. The government of Bernardino Rivadavia decreed in 1823 to undertake at his expense, the building of a new parochial temple, a project that never materialized

9) Santísimo Sacramento, Buenos Aires

The Basilica was donated to the Congregation of the Sacramental Fathers Maria Lina de las Mercedes Castellanos de la Iglesia. Daughter of Aarón Castellanos Velazco, one of the pioneers of the Santa Fe agrarian colonization and the promotion of European immigration in Argentina. She was the wife of Nicolás Hugo de Anchorena Arana. Grandson of Juan Esteban Anchorena, founder of the Argentine dynasty that arrived from Spain in 1751. During his residence in Paris, Mercedes de Anchorena went to mass at the Corpus Christi chapel, at 9 Bis on Rue Moulin Joly. Because the Blessed Sacrament was adored there. Then he spoke with the sacramentine parents. He told them of his desire to build a church in Buenos Aires to worship the Blessed Sacrament. Finally the fundamental stone was placed in 1908, being consecrated in 1916 by the Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Mariano Antonio Espinosa. That same year erected in Minor Basilica by Pope Benedict XV. It was designed by the architecture studio Alfred Coulomb and Louis Pierre Léopard Chauvet. Those plans were modified. The construction the Salesian architect Ernesto Vespignani. It has five towers, three that can be seen in its central façade. In the center of this front is a sculpture of Blessed Julián Pedro Eymard, founder of the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament.

10) Nuestra Señora de Buenos Aires

The Basilica Nuestra Señora de los Buenos Aires is a neo-Gothic Catholic temple in the city of Buenos Aires. It is dedicated to the Virgin Mary of the Navigators under whose advocation Don Pedro de Mendoza founded the first settlement of the city of Buenos Aires.  It is the work of Italian architect and presbyter Ernesto Vespignani. It was built between 1911 and 1932

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.